Ministry of Health needs more details on hotel quarantine fees


The maximum fine for each count is $ 1.64 million, or $ 95 million in total for 58 counts.

Defense attorney Morgan McLay appeared for the department at Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Friday and told Magistrate Donna Bakos he was waiting to receive an evidentiary package from WorkSafe lawyers.

Loading

This file is due in early December, and McLay expected it to be “voluminous”. He predicted the ministry would bring in experts to figure out how WorkSafe would argue its case.

In a statement released last month, WorkSafe alleged that the department violated OSH laws by failing to appoint “people with expertise in infection prevention and control” in hotels, failed to provide security guards had face-to-face training with experts and had failed – at least initially – to provide written instructions on the use of personal protective equipment.

The authority also accused the department of failing to update written instructions on the use of masks at several hotels.

The ministry has not yet filed a plea. A spokesperson for the department said Friday, “As the case is before the courts, the department will not comment.”

The case is due to return to court on March 10.

Stay informed of the most crucial developments related to the pandemic with the coronavirus update. Subscribe to the weekly newsletter.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.